7800 Class 4-6-0 No. 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’
This locomotive was built in Swindon in 1950 by British Railways as a continuation of a design introduced by the GWR in 1938. This class of loco is ideal for preserved railways and can handle trains of up to nine coaches. Following restoration in 1995 the loco was in use continuously on the West Somerset Railway until 2004 covering nearly 80,000 miles.
A heavy overhaul was completed in 2014 and the loco began work on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway. Visits have already been made to North Norfolk, West Somerset, Great Central, Epping and Ongar, Paignton and Dartmouth, Severn Valley and Llangollen Railways.
Heavy Freight Locomotives 2-8-0 Nos 2874, 3845, 3850
2874 was built in 1918 to a design of 1902/03 by G J Churchward, the renowned Great Western Railway Chief Mechanical Engineer. The design proved so successful in service that they were still being built 40 years later – 3845 and 3850 coming out of Swindon in 1942.
There is a difference between 2874 and the others – early examples of the class were built with internal steam pipes but most were later modified to external and the later versions (including 3845 and 3850) were all built to the later specification. It is likely that 2874 will be the sole survivor of the class that will ever again run with its original, internal steam pipe configuration.
The restoration from scrap yard condition has commenced on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway. A blog has been set up to follow the work and can be found at
A charitable company – The 2874 Trust – has been formed to help in the restoration of 2874 – the intention is that the ownership of this loco will pass to the Trust but when restored it will be operated by DML Ltd to keep the benefits of our experience in operating and maintaining these locos. One of the major advantages of a Trust is the ability to recover Gift Aid on donations – the Trust has set up a process with BT MyDonate to assist in this process – follow this link if you would like to help
3845 remains in storage at our Midlands site in ex-Barry condition
3850 was restored at Minehead and Tyseley and entered service with the WSR in 2006 where it proved to be a reliable and economical performer. As it was built to haul trains of up to 1500 tons even the heaviest passenger trains on the WSR pose no problems. Short visits were made to the Great Central and Gloucestershire Warwickshire between service on the WSR – the loco was withdrawn for heavy overhaul at the end of September 2015 – its last two weeks of service being on the GWSR where the overhaul will take place. The boiler is due to be lifted in May 2016 and many components have already been stripped and overhauled ready for return.